SW Miniatures Game

Timbal

10-12-2005 09:55:31

Hey!

In an attempt to further deplete my bank account, I picked up the RotS starter set for the SW Miniatures game. I haven't opened the box yet, though, because I'm hesitating that this will become just like my collection of SW: CCG stuff that I haven't touched in over 2-3 years.

So, anyone have any experience with the game? Is it worth it?

Kaine Mandaala

10-12-2005 10:47:38

Hey!

In an attempt to further deplete my bank account, I picked up the RotS starter set for the SW Miniatures game. I haven't opened the box yet, though, because I'm hesitating that this will become just like my collection of SW: CCG stuff that I haven't touched in over 2-3 years.

So, anyone have any experience with the game? Is it worth it?

I've played MageKnight (which it is loosely based on) and it was cool, but you really - really - need other people around who are into it. Unless there's a community playing it or interested in playing it, save your cash. Look for gaming stores that hold event nights, or friends who have the cash to spend as well.

I used to play MK with a co-worker (two jobs ago) but after I left there... let's just say I have a lot of little plasic figures that collect dust.

Muz Ashen

11-12-2005 00:26:41

same here... Mage knight was cool.
of course i liked to repaint the little buggers, so that my stuff looked uber-pimp.

and then some stanky young teen would just play some army he won at some tourney or other, with hundred dollar figures and annoy the crap out of me.

They look cool though.

Timbal

11-12-2005 12:27:37

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just collect a few minis (Stormtroopers, Clone troopers and the like) just to keep as collectables. They're fairly inexpensive.

Thanks again!

Kaine Mandaala

11-12-2005 15:04:31

same here... Mage knight was cool.
of course i liked to repaint the little buggers, so that my stuff looked uber-pimp.

and then some stanky young teen would just play some army he won at some tourney or other, with hundred dollar figures and annoy the crap out of me.

They look cool though.

I always wanted to repaint mine, especially to make the red/yellow/blue variants make more sense. In case people don't know you can have one type of character (let's say a knight) in three different 'strengths'. Each of those was progressively better, and marked as blue (good) yellow (batter) and red (best). To determine these levels at a glance, all three would have one feature that was painted that color. Most of them look dumb... like they decided "Different colored pants will be great!"

Tourney brats are always a killjoy. I only watched those losers play a couple times.

What's worse is I remember in the Pokémon CCG fad the hordes of kids who were just buying the card packs to have a full set, and getting bent out of shape that they had so many "energy" cards. I had to explain to pissed off parents that these flashy cards are a GAME and you need those energy cards in mass amounts to play.

As for Mage Knight/HeroClix/Star Wars Minis... well, seriously - if you can find someone to play that with, cool. If you're not all that interested in playing it I'd suggest those Micro Machines figures.

Timbal

12-12-2005 14:00:53

Nope, no one around that I would be able to play with, even considering that one of my co-workers does SW RPG in his spare time with a group of his friends.

In any case, yep, I may want to go with the Micro Machines route.

And I remember the Pokemon CCG, I eventually wound up selling my collection of about 300 cards to some kid for $20. :P

Kaine Mandaala

12-12-2005 15:53:01

Nope, no one around that I would be able to play with, even considering that one of my co-workers does SW RPG in his spare time with a group of his friends.

In any case, yep, I may want to go with the Micro Machines route.

And I remember the Pokemon CCG, I eventually wound up selling my collection of about 300 cards to some kid for $20. :P

I have a handful of the Charazard 1st edition holographics that people were buying/selling for $350+ each, a handful of some tournament special edition Mew, and a boatlod of Merril 1st edition limited edition cards. Charizards I found in packs - I was actually playing the game w/ my wife. All the others - I knew people who gave them away at events.

I should have sold them all when it was popular. Hell the Charizards alone would have gotten me like $7k.