Bf's BFII Review!!

Sith Bloodfyre

06-11-2005 15:00:29

So, as promised, here is a review of Battlefront II as brought to you by the fine people at the Raging Rancor Cantina. They asked me to remind everyone that Thursdays are Karoke nights, and ladies get in free. Bring your friends, have a ball, and possibly get caught for that bounty on yoru head at the Raging Rancor Cantina. And now, onto the review.

My initial impression of this game was basically, better graphics, a little cooler, but possibly the same as the original. I went in expecting to be dazzled, and off the bat, I wondered where the flare was going to come in. I did the training mission, and actually, I was pretty happy with the gameplay, and how it teaches you to play in single player. It covers pretty much everything you need to know, including a need to utilize every class of Clone Trooper (it has specific parts where you'll gain each class, and use them), and even shows you how to use heroes, and what sort of happenings will bring about their entrance into the game. For those who played Battlefront, heroes in a game basically meant victory for whichever side they played on. The were invincible, and kicked serious ass. In this game, heroes have a "limited lifespan," which can be extended through making kills, but they are not invincible, which is sweet. It does add some extra punch, but not at the cost of making it wank.

So, after training, instead of going into single player for some fun, I actually hopped onto a public server available through logging into GameSpy. I went onto an empty server to see what it was like, and chose a Capture the Flag game. I've never been the best at Capture the Flag in JO/JA, and it seems a little different in this game, but with the same concept. You have flags to protect, and a need to steal the enemy's flags and bring them back. It's not always easy to navigate in these maps (I have to learn their ins and outs still) but that can make it a little more interesting, since it's not exactly a straight shot back home. Getting you back in one piece may require strategy, teamwork, stealth, and much, much more. In the end, I didn't spend a lot of time on this part, since I just wanted to see what it was like. All-in-all, I thought it was pretty cool.

So then I started single player. I really like the single player in Battlefront II. For those not familiar with Battlefront, the single player mode in it was basically the same thing as multi player, just without the extra human factor. You sat on a battlefield, and shot each other to death, and tried to capture their "command posts" to make them run out of reinforcements quicker. Sometimes it could be fun, but it got old. There weren't a lot of really fun maps; most of them were small, and there were really no ways to take advantage of team strategy, in my mind. So basically, single player was just about trying to be the one who shot the most, and got shot the least.

Single player in Battlefront II has been a little more involved. There's actual objectives to complete. I was fighting one battle, and you had to kill off six creatures (I forget their names now, but they're the praying mantis-like creatures that tried to kill Obi-Wan on Geonosis in Episode II). After you kill six of those, you have to get to a broken-down AT-TE and defend it for a few minutes until Aayla Secura arrived. As soon as she arrives, you go find the parts to repair the AT-TE, and then go destroy some auto turrets, and then fight back against the droids until they retreat, and so on, and so forth. There actually is a point to fighting, so that you can accomplish some goals. It's not always "route the enemy and die as little as possible." Plus, the single player follows the 501st Clone Trooper/Stormtrooper legion. It's actually kind of cool, because you get to see the movies progress, after a fashion, through the eyes of the people not always being followed by the camera in the films. For those of you who wonder "what was going on in the background," this is pretty decent.

Oh. Something I haven't mentioned yet. It's not just another first person shooter. This game has space combat. There's different types of fighters, and you can jump in them, and take to the skies. You actually can dogfight, and go after enemy fighters, and bomb capital ships. Not only that, you can be in a space battle, have objectives to take out a certain number of fighters (or whatever), go bomb a couple of cap ships to hell, take a fighter and dock on an enemy ship and sabotage them, go to another ship and steal their battle plans, then make it back to your ship safe and sound, then... you get the point. It's a mix of space fighting in ships, landing to do some combat on ships, and all while trying to complete objectives and bring victory for the mission. Depending on the kind of thing you like for single player gaming, it can be fun, it can be intense, but it can also be confusing. There were a couple times where I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing.

But therein lies my own stupidity sometimes. They have arrows that guide you to your target. I was supposed to destroy an enemy cap ship's auto turrets, and stupid me, I went inside the ship, to their turret room, climbed into one of the turret seats (which changes the view to a turret view) and started to shoot the other turrets nearby. Nothing. I didn't realize, I was supposed to be in a ship, flying, shooting the side massive turrets that were shooting the command ship. I didn't pay attention to the yellow arrows that were pointing the targets out. When I realized that, that was so much help. The game does have the ability in single player to confuse, but there are little hints and such to try and make it as easy and as enjoyable as possible.

Then I decided to play multi player again. I jumped onto a random GameSpy-listed server, and this was weird. When it loaded up, the teams were all heroes. Yep, you can turn these on or off, make them permanent or not, and get some funky action or not. Everyone was playing Jedi; it almost looked like a JO/JA killfest. I was on the Imperial/Evil team. Available were Boba Fett, Darth Vader, Jango Fett, Darth Maul, General Grievous, The Emperor, Anakin Skywalker, and Count Dooku. Everyone was using Jedi characters, and basically doing a Force Push/hack you to death combo. The Force Push knocks you down and disorients you for a sec, long enough to get in close and start going at you like a bad slasher movie. Needless to say, I got killed a lot. I tried the Emperor, who has a lightsaber, Force Choke and Force Lightning; not bad, and he walks like he [Expletive Deleted F-word]ing floating towards you. Kinda wicked looking. Then I tried Jango Fett. It kind of sucked, since he only had one gun, instead of having one each hand, but he also had a flam throwing, and a rocket launcher. Then I tried Darth Maul, who has his double-bladed and Force Push, and he was ok. Vader was actually pretty badass. The way he walks around, it's like this "stalk," as if he's just taking his own sweet time, walking like he's pissed off, and he's coming for you, bitch. I mean, that was literally how I saw his walk. It was tight. After those few minutes, I jumped off the server, and called it a night. I figured I'd think about how I liked the game so far, and started writing this.

At current, I'm actually really impressed with this game. From 1 to 10 on November 3rd, after two nights of playing, I'd actually give this game a 9, but I have yet to delve deeper. I still want to get farther in the single player storyline, and also test out the multi player a little bit more. Hopefully, we might be able to have something going on with this game soon. The rating may go down in time, but at this point, I don't see anything I really dislike.

Ok, so. I just played through the destruction of the Jedi Order, a mission known as "Knightfall." This is what happens (what we don't see) when Anakin goes to the Jedi Temple to kill everyone. This mission was actually fairly difficult while I was trying to figure out the kinks and best way to bring about success. I had a lot of fun with this one, and the cutscene after, showing the transition from Clone Troopers to Stormtroopers was pretty cool. This is where you get to find out that the 501st becomes Vader's personal troops, aptly-named "Vader's Fist." The map wasn't as big as it could've been, perhaps, but it was still fun. If you've played the game version of "Revenge of the Sith," I think I would've liked the map to have been on that scale size-wise, but it was still fairly decent. With the evolving storyline, the game is still keeping my interest. I think one of the more entertaining weapons of the game was the chain gun used by the Clone Commander. It has infinite ammo, although it can overheat, and takes "reloading time" when you let off the trigger. This reloading time is longer if it overheats, too, which means "reloading" and "cool down." It'd be nice to see the chain gun cut people to bits, too, instead of just making them sort of twitch a bit like everything else, but that's just cosmetic. Still. Flying body parts would be interesting.

I find interest in the rankings and medals. There's like mini-objectives that gets you medals, which give you bonuses, and also attribute to your "rank." You earn medals for things such as six headshot kills with a sniper rifle (Marksman medal), or earning 36 points with a single life (Warhero medal). Once you've earned the same medal four times, you get Veteran status, and the bonus will become available from that specific "task." The more of these medals you earn, the higher your rank. If you earn 20 medals, you become a Sergeant; 100 medals earns you Captain, and 300 makes you a General. The higher your rank, if I was reading correctly, the more men you can command under you, like getting a squad together in Battlefront. Now, what all this really adds to a player's ability, I don't know. But again, I do find interest in trying to hit each objective, gain medals, and increase my rank and such. It's diverting.

So, I haven't even completed the single player storyline, and I still have yet to play some MP with Brotherhood players, but I continue finding myself enjoying this game immensely. I'd still say it's a 9 on a scale out of 10.

The more I play this game, the more I learn, and the better I get at missions. I continue to be defeated on the Naboo mission just after switching from Clone Troopers to Stormtroopers, but I find myself getting farther, and getting better. You learn things, or you pick up ideas along the way. You try different tactics, or different classes, and see how much you can accomplish, and what will work better. This is true both in SP and MP. You'll find yourself switching tactics, and changing players as you go through. Particularly adept teams will really focus on which areas need which type of troops, and who can do those jobs effectively. This was something they tried to accomplish in Battlefront, but didn't exactly succeed in. With Battlefront II, I see this as accomplished, and I believe that successful Clans and Houses that take on this game, and who learn to utilize all that they have available will become a dominant force in this game. The Brotherhood has teamwork and the ability to work together as an advantage, and we can cultivate this as we use this game more for activities and competitions, and just for fun.

I don't think I need to continue reviewing the game to give it a rating. I will say that map size is one drawback; I'd definitely like to see bigger maps utilized, especially for space missions, so that people who want to fly and dogfight, and all that other fun stuff can really have some space to do it. I enjoy the classes as much as I did in Battlefront, but I find the added units, as well as the ability to utilize heroes a very cool addition. Heroes are powerful, but not as godlike and momentum-shifting as they were in Battlefront. I think this game has the fun and excitement potential for all types of gamers, from JO/JAers to XvT/XWAers alike. I think my final rating to this game is going to be about a 9.5 out of 10. There's challenge enough for me as a "newer gamer," but I believe that older gamers alike will find it fun to play with the storyline, and to try themselves in the SP action. Gaming in MP will be fun for people, too, and I think this can be a worthwhile investment to those who wish to do so. I will not encourage people to go out and buy this as a "game to get away from JO/JA/XvT/XWA," or anything like that, but I will encourage them to buy it as a game to add to those foundation platforms. It has the ability to be just as well-received, and as popular.

There are differences in lightsaber play when using heroes; don't go looking for DFAs and lunges and such, but it is still pretty cool what kind of destruction you can wreak upon your enemies with a lightsaber and the Force. And yeah, some of their Force powers are actually pretty useful. So again, overall rating of 9.5 for me, and I think it's actually a pretty cool game.

For those interested, I added some screenshots from the first mission or two if you'd like to see.

http://sith.darkjedibrotherhood.com/images...shots/title.jpg (Everything has to have a beginning)
http://sith.darkjedibrotherhood.com/images.../journal001.jpg (Journal info following the 501st storyline)
http://sith.darkjedibrotherhood.com/images.../assault001.jpg (Clone Commanders with their chainguns rock)
http://sith.darkjedibrotherhood.com/images.../assault002.jpg (A hero choice becomes available)
http://sith.darkjedibrotherhood.com/images.../assault003.jpg (End of mission; I won)
http://sith.darkjedibrotherhood.com/images...s/medals001.jpg (You get medals for doing specific things)
http://sith.darkjedibrotherhood.com/images.../assault004.jpg (Ready for space combat?)
http://sith.darkjedibrotherhood.com/images.../assault005.jpg (I thought Shadow would like this particular image; this is how he'd head to his fighter)
http://sith.darkjedibrotherhood.com/images.../assault006.jpg (Droid fighter destroyed)
http://sith.darkjedibrotherhood.com/images.../assault007.jpg (Bomb that cap ship)
http://sith.darkjedibrotherhood.com/images.../assault008.jpg (A look after one of the various roll maneuvers)

Just in closing, if anyone else has played it and wants to add their comments, thoughts, etc., feel free to leave it here. Thanks much.

Tarax Kor

06-11-2005 15:42:50

For the space combat, is a joystick required? Or is it the same as the original where you can do it with a mouse?

MERLANCE

06-11-2005 15:58:02

The game wasn't that bad, but I initially hated it. I suppose I don't have a clear opinion yet, but things that I don't like:

1) I hated the space combat. Hate hate hate. I like the fact that you can skip the space missions, because the controls and interface are awkward for it. Its almost Rogue Squadronish. Furthermore, the one space mission I did do caused me to die. A lot. It killed my kills/deaths ratio.

2) Snipers can't call down planetary bombardment anymore. That makes me sad. Snipers in general are far inferior now, you pretty much have to get a head shot to do more damage than a regular blaster.

3) Rockets seem stronger. Too strong, I think.

Of course, there are neat things, like playing as jedi. Yoda on Kashyyyk was fun, but holding the enemy back for 3 minutes and then 4 minutes was far less so. Im not very good at defending things.

I'll need more time to make my final opinion.

And no, no stick is required for space combat, though it is hard to fly with a mouse.

Blade Dranal

06-11-2005 16:53:02

I've played Single Player all the way through, it was good. Multiplayer is just as fun although there's still the occassional idiot that doesn't know how to kill the enemy, but you get those everywhere.

Overall I'd say the game is as good as it could get, of course there's gonna be alot of criticism around here about it. Most of it will be from people who haven't played it and Stereotype it cause they're lazy. But hell don't listen to the lamers that complain, try the game out for yourselves. It's worth a shot at least once.

Sith Bloodfyre

06-11-2005 18:22:31

Actually, I liked space combat, myself. I don't really find it that hard to do with a keyboard/mouse combo, though I will have to try it with a joystick.

I agree with snipers no longer having orbital bombardment; that was actually a little over-powered if you think about it. Beyond that, in single player, headshots are actually really easy to get. NPCs move around, then stop to shoot for a while, and give you perfect opportunities to nail them right between the eyes. You just have to make sure to have some cover, and take the shot at the right time. Play with your mouse sensitivity too, to help you get aiming a bit more comfortable. I had to tweak that a bit before I felt like I could make quicker shots and nail them. In single player, it'll require quicker hands, since most human players won't just stop and shoot, but moving targets aren't impossible to nail either. Just practice that in SP some.

I didn't really have a huge issue with rockets, really. It depends on where you hit. From what I've read, there's "critical hits" for rockets that will do massive damage. Makes sense to me, since some areas are more sensitive to damage anyways.

I like having to defend things in SP, simply because it makes it a little more realistic, and varies the objectives. If this were real, people would have to know how to go on the defensive, as well as to pull back and defend strategic points. It was a point of interest for me, simply because I had to play some of those "defend" points through several times. I tried probably two dozen times unsuccessfully to defend the shelves in the Jedi Temple from destruction before I finally managed to get past that point.

I will point out though, Blade, that everyone is entitled to their opinion. If people don't like the game, or certain aspects, I asked for that info, as well as thoughts from people who liked it. I wanted people to have an opportunity to get a variety of opinions to help them decide whether it'd be worth their time and money to purchase Battlefront II. You make a good point that people should make their own decisions in the end, but everyone is entitled to praise or downplay the game. You might do well remembering that.

Arania

06-11-2005 19:46:04

Sniping seems a lot easier than in the last BF. I also like how you can adjust your target view. To me it seems rocket did less damage tho. Can't comment on flying stuff yet. I never managed to fly in BF1, as I just suck with keyboard flying, so I doubt I'll manage in this one. And I really really love the two CTF versions.

Xanos

06-11-2005 19:50:01

Now that the game is released I thought I would point out that I actually hated the space combat when I first tried it. I'm a Sith, I love flight sims, and I absolutely despised it to begin with. It almost put me off playing the beta because I simply couldn't get the hang of it, and thats coming from someone who usually likes even the worst of the trash LucasArts throws out. But after playing it for a week and getting used to the controls I really started to enjoy it. It may not be something everyone wants to work on at first but its worth giving space combat a second chance because a lot of its problems are simply getting used to the controls and play-style.

I actually found snipers to be over-powered personally. I mean.... they're snipers... and the snipe. In a full player match snipers can be some of the worst bitches in the game - especailly as BF2 seems to have very little latency (so if you shoot at someones head its virtually guarenteed to be a head shot). Snipers certainly have taken a knock in close range but at the end of the day its not really their role. If a sniper sits back in from a raised vantage point they can be a huge pain unless another sniper tries to take them down.

Rockets are definately powerful but I think they've taken a knock in terms of the area of effect damage they cause, plus assault troopers seem to have a really, really long reload time for rockets. In AI terms its not to bad but in a full player v. player match rockets can be a pain - though they are in other games like Battlefield too so... meh. With vehicles though... as BF said there are now "critical hits". From what I've read the devs realised there was a lot of problem with players camping spawn points with overly powerful vehicles so they made critical points on vehicles where a well placed rocket could do a lot of damage. These are things like an AT-ATs neck or the rear of a tank, etc. It does make taking out a vehicle easier if you're an assault trooper. (Something most people don't know either... if you run up to a vehicle and attack it with the engineer's blow torch you can eject the enemy pilot and take control - nice way to piss people off).

And I agree with BF that Vader has a cool walk, I noticed that too when playing as him :P And you're right, Palpatine floats on air... which is... just wierd... though in a somewhat cool way. If nothing else Palpatines double jump lightning ball smash thingy is neat. Darth Maul I feel needs a nerf, heh, as he's just super powerful in the right hands - that double bladed saber is lethal. Yoda is fun. I really like Grievous as he has huge reach. Boba and Jango are a bit meh but... oh well. I do like their flamethrowers though. I suppose they just involve more tactical playing as if you're just a super-uber stormtrooper or clone, rather than charging head first into the front lines if you're Vader. I definately like the options you have in terms of enabling Hero classes in MP matches - gives enough options to suit pretty much everyone.

Clone Commanders rock. That needed to be said.

I agree and disagree about wanting bigger maps... I think it just depends what map you're playing. I like maps like the Tantive IV because they're very small and there's a lot more close range action. There are also maps like Dagobah though which just feel huge, others like Geonosis and Hoth are pretty big too. The only disappointment I have with the maps is that not all the ones from the original game have been kept. I like nearly all the new ones though... Utapau, Mustafar, Kashyyyk all have their individual appeals. If we're lucky, unless they plan on starting work on a BF3, I'd like if we got to see some bonus map downloads available over the next few months, that'd be good. The only thing I would like is more ground maps with airspeeders or starfighters - from what I've played there aren't as many with X-Wings or TIEs just sitting there to be flown - I suppose this is because there are now space maps so its not needed and because starfighters were invincible against ground troops - but I still miss them - maps like Bespin Platforms used to be fun.

Lastly, if anyone has problems with the game in terms of unexplaining crashes back to the desktop during gameplay (especially on Felcuia, the third SP mission or during the training videos) or has the game lock up or reboot your computer... check if you have an nVidia 6800 or 7800 video card. If so then you're in the same boat as me and going to need to wait, most likely, for nVidia to release a new set of drivers. LucasArts are aware of the problem and working with nVidia to fix it, I'm guessing nVidia will be faster with new drivers than LucasArts will be with a patch. There's a few reported problems of BF2 not liking dual core system either. It seems to work fine though for anyone just running it on a regular PC, so you only need to be worried if you have a brand new one or a new nVidia video card.

Kaine Mandaala

07-11-2005 08:45:59

Lastly, if anyone has problems with the game in terms of unexplaining crashes back to the desktop during gameplay (especially on Felcuia, the third SP mission or during the training videos) or has the game lock up or reboot your computer... check if you have an nVidia 6800 or 7800 video card. If so then you're in the same boat as me and going to need to wait, most likely, for nVidia to release a new set of drivers. LucasArts are aware of the problem and working with nVidia to fix it, I'm guessing nVidia will be faster with new drivers than LucasArts will be with a patch. There's a few reported problems of BF2 not liking dual core system either. It seems to work fine though for anyone just running it on a regular PC, so you only need to be worried if you have a brand new one or a new nVidia video card.

I had a quick CTD when I started the Felucia mission, but I fired up SWBF2 and was able to go right back to where I left off. I have a 6600.

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned (though I might have missed it since I skimmed the reviews so far) is the fact that you can hit "Enter" at the Control Points to switch classes. I don't remember that from SWBF1, so if it was there... nevermind. :)

I really like SWBF2 for a lot of reasons, most of which were mentioned above. I like how certain classes are 'locked' until you meet the point requirement. I like that you can play as a Jedi - and that they are far from invincible. My only real complaints so far are:

- Some maps are crowded with environmental aspects. Mygeeto and Endor are tough to navigate because of dense foliage.

- Switching weapons is awkward with "mousewheel up" changing your secondary weapon (grenades, etc.) and "mousewheel down" changing your primary (rifle/pistol).

- Right click should be zoom by default. I know I can change it, but it's annoying to right-click thinking I'm going to zoom in and end up tossing a grenade. I'm not going to change it, though. :) I usually keep the default controls alone for the most part, just in case I can't figure something out. That way I can look it up or ask someone about it.

Tarax Kor

07-11-2005 09:19:45

After playing it last night, only bad thing I could say is that they should TELL you to use BOMBERS to take down the convoy ships above Kashyyyk. I had about a gazillion tries at that before I figured it out. :P

Kaine Mandaala

07-11-2005 10:05:03

After playing it last night, only bad thing I could say is that they should TELL you to use BOMBERS to take down the convoy ships above Kashyyyk. I had about a gazillion tries at that before I figured it out. :P

lol - I think they do tell you to use the bombers along the top-center when you start that map. Not to sound like a total jerk but I thought that was kind of obvious.

To your defense - they never tell you which ship is the bomber, which I only figured by default since I saw a Transport and Fighter next to something I didn't recognize. I think when I approached it it says V-Wing, which I assumed was equal to the Y-Wing.

Tarax Kor

07-11-2005 10:50:15

Hey it was 3am X-)

Oh, and ALL the fighters have missiles... so you'd think those missiles would blow [Expletive Deleted] up. :P

Xanos

07-11-2005 12:44:20

"I had a quick CTD when I started the Felucia mission, but I fired up SWBF2 and was able to go right back to where I left off. I have a 6600."

You're lucky thats a 6 not an 8 then :P I think Arania's card is a 6800 and she has the same problems as I do with my 7800 of it just crashing for no real reasons. I actually managed half a dozen MP games using the Tantive IV map... thought it was going fine, that there were no problems with that map, then out of the blue it died again.

"The one thing I haven't seen mentioned (though I might have missed it since I skimmed the reviews so far) is the fact that you can hit "Enter" at the Control Points to switch classes. I don't remember that from SWBF1, so if it was there... nevermind."

I didn't know that... sounds cool, I'll have to try that out.

"Switching weapons is awkward with "mousewheel up" changing your secondary weapon (grenades, etc.) and "mousewheel down" changing your primary (rifle/pistol)."

Use 1 and 2 instead :P I found the mouse-wheel easy when I was playing the beta on my old PC, my new one has a rather heavy mouse though and the wheel is rather stiff so its not as nice. I find just hitting 1 and 2 simple enough - as its basically the same as most FPS games where you have the weapons assigned to 1 to 0.

I was a bit confused myself about the choice of ships they did as bombers/interceptors for the Republic. I imagined the V-Wing was more of an interceptor and the ARC-170 a bomber... but... meh. I guess they just had to pick something for the different roles. Kashyyyk has yet to pose a problem for me though seeing as the crashing has left me stuck on Felcuia :P

Sith Bloodfyre

07-11-2005 13:33:27

I apologize; I don't think I did mention that you can switch classes at the command posts. That is another option that I do like, especially when new objectives come after reaching a CP, and you know you'll need a different class to more easily complete those objectives. Very good point to mention, Kaine. :)

On the other side of things, though, I actually do like the mouse wheel for cycling weapons. For me, it wasn't really difficult to get used to. I do have problems every now and then with the right mouse button tossing a grenade, since I'm used to some games where you hold down that button and drag the mouse to rotate the camera view. I'll toss off a grenade or two by mistake, but I'm getting the hang of it. As you said, I don't want to change anything, since it's all pretty well-keyed, and I'd rather know the defaults, just in case.

And yeah, there is a point to Nitemare's case. When they tell you to bomb capital ships, it's all fine and dandy, except I don't remember being told which was a bomber, either. I had to go off of instinct. I knew it wasn't the LAAT, I knew it wasn't the ARC 170 (the six-winged X-Wing type ship), or even the yellow "Anakin's Starfighter) type ship. So, I went with the only other alternative, and managed to luck out. I don't remember if it said which ship it was when I moused over it, but that probably would've told me, too.

Kaine Mandaala

07-11-2005 13:55:16

I apologize; I don't think I did mention that you can switch classes at the command posts.  That is another option that I do like, especially when new objectives come after reaching a CP, and you know you'll need a different class to more easily complete those objectives.  Very good point to mention, Kaine. :)

This is something it tells you in the tutorials somewhere. I remember the situation was as you describe it - you had to storm a point as a base Clone Trooper, then change classes to complete the next objective. This feature is probably one of the best in the whole game.

Another thing to note, especially on the Kashyyyk space mission, the heavy transports are mobile spawn points. After you land it in the CIS capital ship you can spawn on it. Very handy to fly it there as a Pilot class, take out the reactors with your timebombs, then if you get iced before grabbing the holocron and getting out you can respawn as a regular trooper and do some damage with a real weapon instead of that horrible pistol.

A friend of mine didn't know you could spawn on the ship and kept respawning and flying over. He had like 12 ships in the hangar by the time he finished the map.

Sith Bloodfyre

07-11-2005 14:39:50

Yeah, I do like that the LAATs are spawnpoints. In that mission, I took an LAAT over, and waited until a few more troops spawned up to kick some ass, then snuck off to grab the holocron. It was cake, really. But yeah, I think they really hit the nail on the head with this game. Much better than the original, in my opinion.

Bran Redmow

07-11-2005 21:37:31

I find interest in the rankings and medals.  There's like mini-objectives that gets you medals, which give you bonuses, and also attribute to your "rank."  You earn medals for things such as six headshot kills with a sniper rifle (Marksman medal), or earning 36 points with a single life (Warhero medal).  Once you've earned the same medal four times, you get Veteran status, and the bonus will become available from that specific "task."  The more of these medals you earn, the higher your rank.  If you earn 20 medals, you become a Sergeant; 100 medals earns you Captain, and 300 makes you a General.  The higher your rank, if I was reading correctly, the more men you can command under you, like getting a squad together in Battlefront.  Now, what all this really adds to a player's ability, I don't know.  But again, I do find interest in trying to hit each objective, gain medals, and increase my rank and such.  It's diverting.

I think once you get legendary on a medal you automatically spawn with its bonus. At least that's why I think I keep glowing. This is on X-Box BTW. BTW if you want see something funny, get a friend and go to Jabba's Palace and find Jabba. Step on the square infront of him and drop down. Tell your friend to charge the Rancor. Watch Rancor eat friend like popcorn.