Advancement in the DB

Tyrus

07-06-2005 16:26:43

:lukevader:
Hi, i just want to know if anyone has any tips on advancing in the db, im a novice right now and i like to right fictional stories.

NOV Tyrus
dossier:5575
sith
clan tarentum house tridens battleteam rei
battleteam rei represent:join battleteam rei, were looking for new members

-uncapslocked the topic title-

Spears

07-06-2005 16:55:48

A good start would be either emailing your House leaders and asking them that question.
Another good place is to look at the Career Guide. http://www.darkjedibrotherhood.com/dbjedi/.../sa/career.html

On top of that another good way is to take part in writing competitions. As it shows activity and activity = promotions and medals. Go take a look at the Independence Games site there are alot of writing comps going on.
http://www.independencegames.net

Tyrus

07-06-2005 17:12:25

thanx, another question is wouldnt it be cool to have like a internet communiy war(example db vs fesgaming)?

Telona

07-06-2005 17:25:33

We have something similar going on called the IG or Independence Games. But if you want to play with people from other groups jump on mIRC on Saturday after 1 pm EST and join #outerrim .

Oh also about advancement. You should look to see if you clan's website has a guide on it. Most clan's have promotion guidlines that can be a big help.

Ark Dowell

22-06-2005 11:49:25

A harder way to advance would be completeing Shadow Academy courses. You can reach a Protector by doing 2 General courses and 3 Order courses. I think that's how I reached Protector.

Tyrus

22-06-2005 18:53:23

IM A ACOLYTE AND TRYING TO GET PROTECTOR.......OH WELL

Jaymz

23-06-2005 11:45:56

Yeah well I am a Protector who has around 18 CF's the last time I checked, A Cresent with Topaz Star, and a Scroll of Indoc. Coming soon will be a Dark Side Scroll after I turn in my 10 page story to Telona today. Yet I am still a god damn protector. I am not sure of whether Ben has put in a promotion thing for me yet but still. That and along with the 7 academy tests I have already completed. I have been bugging him since a month ago. I WANNA BE PROMOTED TO GAURDIAN. I am already on my way to Jedi Hunter.

Taigikori

23-06-2005 11:49:24

Your luck is, Ben will read this and revoke his recomendation. lol j/k

I've done only 9 SA courses. I would do more, but once I heard they don't anything for you after Protector, I stopped. I might do more in the future, but right now I'm focusing on the ACC.

Jaymz

23-06-2005 12:04:43

That would be my luck : P

I am focusing on the ACC and Gaming nights, which i already have a bunch of CF's for it, but I am already like half way to level 4 clan powers which is a requirement for Jedi Hunter, so by the time the request is processed I'll be bugging him to promote me again.

Korras

23-06-2005 12:11:13

asking for a promotion will only ensure you will be stuck on your current rank longer. so, if you want to advance, stop nagging for a promotion. you're lucky I'm not Ben. if it were me in his place, and I had put in your promo, and then seen this topic, I'd have withdrawn that promotion request, and would wait for a week or two. :P

Jaymz

23-06-2005 12:26:14

Me and Ben are friends Korras, I havn't asked him about it for about 2 weeks. Ben wouldn't pull the request its not like him. He knows the process is slow and so do I, I am just messing around when I do stuff like that. I didn't ask him to get promoted, I asked him if I had the requirements to get promoted, and he did the rest. Besides Ben and I IM each other all the time.

Tyrus

23-06-2005 17:07:20

im only an acolyte and i wish i could get promoted, but according to obelisk up there i shouldn't bug people.

Tyrus

23-06-2005 17:09:35

where do you get the db multiplayer games? what are they? and what kind of internet hook up do you need? i have dial up, can i still paly online if i get the game?

Kaine Mandaala

23-06-2005 21:20:46

where do you get the db multiplayer games?
At your local game retailer.... or anywhere really.

what are they?
The big popular ones are:

X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter (can be found under $10 USD)
X-Wing Alliance (can be found for under $20 USD)
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (can eb found for as little as $10 USD)
Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy (is still anywhere from $30-45 USD)
Star Wars Battlefront (still $40-50 USD)
Republic Commando (still $40-50 USD)

and what kind of internet hook up do you need? i have dial up, can i still paly online if i get the game?
In all seriousness, a Cable/DSL connection is best for all of these, especially the more graphicly intense games like SWBF and RC. With dial-up you can still play them. Depending on your system you could probably play any of those with no problem other than latency (aka lag). Lag is the biggest possible issue you will face, though it can be circumvented at the expense of the graphic quality or other settings.

Xanos

24-06-2005 06:45:57

I've done only 9 SA courses. I would do more, but once I heard they don't anything for you after Protector, I stopped.

Thats not completely true. They don't get you automatic promotions but they still count toward general activity. Its possible to get Protector purely based on just doing certain combinations of SA courses. Its still possible to get Guardian partially for SA activity but normally you'd just have to combine it with other things to. They're still worth doing at any rate if you like doing them. Most Clan's Trials normally incorporate taking SA courses as one of the optional activities you can do.

Tyrus

24-06-2005 13:19:06

you know everytime i post "i want to get promoted" somewhere i get promoted, now im PRT

Shinichi Endymiron K

24-06-2005 20:02:23

Congratulations.

Tyrus

24-06-2005 20:06:55

thanks, but i wish i could get promoted to GRD :w00t:

:::crosses fingers and prays to lord revan::: :P

Shinichi Endymiron K

25-06-2005 23:37:20

Take it one step at a time. He would learn to fly must first stand and walk, one cannot fly into flying.

Tyrus

26-06-2005 18:39:41

this may be off topic, but dalthid made me a sig and i dont know how to put it on here, if anyone knows how please tell me. :mellow:

silverRaven

26-06-2005 19:28:50

Well your not the only ones stuck at PRT. I approaching 10 months as PRT. I should be recieving a second legion of the scholar soon, but I just can't get promoted to GRD. I'm annoyed. People of CNS read this post! I deserve a promo! Just kidding. Though I do think I deserve a promo.:P

Xanos

27-06-2005 18:55:35

Well that does happen when you spend most of that time Rogue :P

Keep things up the way you are though Raven and it won't be long. Be glad you weren't stuck at ACO for 10 months like Malik tho :P

Jaymz

18-07-2005 08:43:34

How could someone be stuck at ACO for that long? I was promoted to protector like as soon as the time limit was up.

Korras

18-07-2005 09:14:49

because 95% of that time was spent as rogue.

Xanos

18-07-2005 12:27:25

No it wasn't, he just sat his lazy ass in HLK all that time :P

Telona

18-07-2005 17:30:23

Yeah if you don't do anything you don't get promoted.

kraval

18-07-2005 18:00:24

Yeah if you don't do anything you don't get promoted.

No way! :o You mean you actually have to do something to get a promotion?!?!?!? Seriously, why do people think that if they take some SA courses and make some MB posts they think they'll get DJK and their saber? They might do that in other clans but at least in some clans cough*Taldryan*cough they have actuall requirements. Theyre not hard or anything, it just takes some time and activity, thats not askin for a lot. I understand that when you're in the younger ranks you want to advance quickly, and sadly that is the case with some people. There are some profiles on the DB site where a person has been in the DB for 8 months and already he has made krath priest. Now maybe I dont know the whole story behind that but thats a very quick advancement.

Korras

18-07-2005 20:21:58

I'm a rather extreme case, I was PCON when I was here 8 months. if you work hard, real hard, faster then usual promotions are quite possible.. look at my history if you don't believe me. :P

Halcyon

18-07-2005 20:30:28

Aye, there is a fairly large range depending on how active someone really is. A part of the problem is that within a few days you can become a Guardian. So, people will believe that all other promotions should just be as quick with just a little more work...however this isn't the case.

Andan Taldrya Marshall

18-07-2005 22:16:19

No way!  :o You mean you actually have to do something to get a promotion?!?!?!?

Only in Tal, Kraval :P

kraval

19-07-2005 14:06:55

Only in Tal, Kraval  :P

W00t Crix, W00t

Jaymz

20-07-2005 13:27:10

I have done some stuff, and I have seen Gaurdian's Dossiers who have done less then me, even Jedi hunters. Now I do not dedicate my entire life to it, sorry. I have a girl, a job and a family to attend to. What little time I have left to spare I do it relaxing and playing video games or trying to do stuff on here. So i apologize If I cannot put the full 24/7 dedication as seems necissary to advance, guess I'll just stay protector.

Mike Halcyon

20-07-2005 18:02:21

I thought your girl just left you?

kraval

20-07-2005 18:10:42

I have done some stuff, and I have seen Gaurdian's Dossiers who have done less then me, even Jedi hunters. Now I do not dedicate my entire life to it, sorry. I have a girl, a job and a family to attend to. What little time I have left to spare I do it relaxing and playing video games or trying to do stuff on here. So i apologize If I cannot put the full 24/7 dedication as seems necissary to advance, guess I'll just stay protector.

Jaymz, this is the sort of thing I was talking about. DON'T COMPLAIN! It just gets everyone annoyed at hearing someone complain about not getting a promo. Just do what you do and a promotion will come. Asking for it and complaining about not getting one will just turn your leaders off to the notion of elevating you.

Kir

20-07-2005 19:55:04

Something helpful to remember...

Things displayed in people's dossiers do not include everything they do in the DB. Lots of work may not be rewarded, and lots gets grouped together for bigger awards. You can find many profiles in the DB of regular members who are more decorated than my dossier is, and I've been a Consul for two years. So looking through dossiers and comparing where you "stand" based solely on that is going to give you a very skewed view of things.

Just be active, have fun, and concentrate on something other than being promoted all the time.

Macron Sadow

20-07-2005 21:01:46

Good Point, Kir.

Aidan Kincaid

20-07-2005 23:22:06

It also helps if you don't start fights with DC members and tell off the leaders of your clan. Perhaps try a new clan that won't mind so much?

Jaymz

21-07-2005 11:39:36

I'm not complaining. I am simply stating the matter. I don't really care at this point on whether I get promoted or not, I pretty much gave up. Adalyn and I are good friends now and she still demands alot of attention from me, sadly. I would love to advance, you guys see the worst in me, which is also sad, because I can be a really nice person.

Telona

21-07-2005 15:58:52

We only see what you allow us to see.

If you just look at your clan's website you'll probably find a promotion guide. I'm not sure with Tally but it's that way with most of the clans. But if you are not happy with your current clan then just request a transfer out of it. It's not really that hard.

Jaymz

21-07-2005 16:09:34

No I like my clan, Ben has been really supportive, but at this point, I don't think I can do much more, well at least not at the moment.

kraval

21-07-2005 19:43:45

Jaymz, you've been doing a lot. I have been keeping track of your activity, and you're SOOOOO close man. You really are. I know it seems hopeless or frustrating, but don't you dare let it get you down. I've been monitering you in the ACC, and if you want you could download that allegiance game and practice for the tourny that BF is holding whenever. I understand your frustration, I really do. And to answer you Telona, yes we do have guidelines for both of our houses. Jamyz, your doing a good job so far man. KEEP IT UP!!!!

Macron Sadow

21-07-2005 20:56:40

I enjoyed our battle, Jaymz. Keep at it.

Langis Gyn Histop

21-07-2005 21:55:05

AND, Im sure that once we finish our battle Jaymz, you're gonna be promoted. Just dont give up.

Jaymz

22-07-2005 11:50:29

Whoa Whoa WHOA. What the hell. I know you guys are for people getting promoted, but this is too far. I mean I am the guy everyone hates. Noone likes me, why should you care whether I get promoted or not.

Xhedias

22-07-2005 11:54:23

I think what they are saying is, you put in hard work and you should get rewarded for it, no matter how annoying you are or think you are.

Jaymz

22-07-2005 15:42:21

Noone cares how much hard work I put into it, I remember when Langis was just an Apprentice and I was a protector, now she's a guardian and look where I still am.

Xanos

22-07-2005 17:18:32

The important thing to remember when it comes to get promoted is what are the important steps you need to take, your Clan's promotion guideline or Knight Trials or Master Student Program or something like that should be your first source of information, if not, then always just ask your Quaestor or Battleteam Leader for help and advice- better yet your Master if your Clan assigns you one.

The big thing to remember is just being active isn't necessary enough to get promoted. Key example here is activity on the Message Boards. We're a gaming club at the end of the day and people won't ever get promoted just for doing things on the Forums. Thats more likely to get you a Dark Cross or something for "high levels of communication" or something.

If I were to rate things in a rough (and I stress rough) order of importances I'd probably say:

1. Representing the Clan in competitions (ICTE, Sunday Tournaments, IGs etc.)
2. Leadership and other administrative support and/or assistance
3. Participation in competitions (all of the above + any other competitions)
4. Personal activity (general MP gaming outside defined competition time, fiction, for-fun ACC matches etc.)

In essence I generally place anything that helps your Clan as a community at the top of the list... meaning participation in something like the IG2005 would be the best kind of thing you can do. Beyond that there are weekly things of similar nature- in particular the Sunday Tournaments. Next on the list is leadership and stuff. This ones often mistunderstood- leadership does not mean you need to be in a leadership position. You're not a Battleteam Leader? No problem. Run a competition anyway. Make a webpage. Do some graphics for the Clan site. Anything. Things you do for other people without expecting a reward are the quickest way to get a reward. Then comes your general activity, small competitions, and all round personal activity.

I admit though that I can't quite understand quite how somebody could get stuck at Protector... that does seem mighty strange presuming you've been active as you say you have. Taking a quick glance at your dossier I'd say you've got an impressive collection of medals for somebody of your rank as well so I'm somewhat confused myself unless you got most of those Clusters of Fire before becoming a Protector.

There's always the possibility your Quaestor just forgot you exist when making his last set of promotion recommendations... it doese happen occassionally. I pointed out before that Malik was Acolyte for 10 months, much of which he was AWOL I think, but I've always wondered if I just forgot to promote him for 10 months or something... I dunno... it was so long ago. The point is: it does happen. The worst thing you can do though is 'give up' thinking nobody cares. E-mail your Quaestor if theres a problem. Ask "what can I do to get promoted?" or "what else do I need to do?" or "have I done enough yet?" etc. Its quite possible you're just one CF away from a promotion or something, some Clans operate guidelines strictly, so if the rule says "30 CFs" you'll need 30, not 29, or 28, but 30. That said... second worst thing you can do is ask directly for a promotion. That usually has the affect of not getting you promoted. So while I say e-mail your Quaestor the e-mail shouldn't include the sentence "hey, I've done loads, I deserve a promotion". Asking what more you need to do and asking for a promotion are two slightly different things and some Quaestor's can react poorly if the question isn't worded that well.

Noticing the comparison you made between yourself and Langis... don't forget that medals are an alternate form of award and that you have more medals than Langis. Langis may have been promoted while you were awarded a Star of Antei. Rank isn't everything... rank comes eventually but at the end of the day medals are actually harder to accumulate, at least in decent numbers. If you got awarded a medal then you'll get promoted in a little while, with the added bonus of having had the medal.

Better to get DJK more slowly and accumulate a nice set of medals than get it in a month and have an empty dossier with no decorations.

kraval

22-07-2005 17:55:59

I admit though that I can't quite understand quite how somebody could get stuck at Protector... that does seem mighty strange presuming you've been active as you say you have. Taking a quick glance at your dossier I'd say you've got an impressive collection of medals for somebody of your rank as well so I'm somewhat confused myself unless you got most of those Clusters of Fire before becoming a Protector.

There's always the possibility your Quaestor just forgot you exist when making his last set of promotion recommendations... it doese happen occassionally. I pointed out before that Malik was Acolyte for 10 months, much of which he was AWOL I think, but I've always wondered if I just forgot to promote him for 10 months or something... I dunno... it was so long ago. The point is: it does happen. The worst thing you can do though is 'give up' thinking nobody cares. E-mail your Quaestor if theres a problem. Ask "what can I do to get promoted?" or "what else do I need to do?" or "have I done enough yet?" etc. Its quite possible you're just one CF away from a promotion or something, some Clans operate guidelines strictly, so if the rule says "30 CFs" you'll need 30, not 29, or 28, but 30. That said... second worst thing you can do is ask directly for a promotion. That usually has the affect of not getting you promoted. So while I say e-mail your Quaestor the e-mail shouldn't include the sentence "hey, I've done loads, I deserve a promotion". Asking what more you need to do and asking for a promotion are two slightly different things and some Quaestor's can react poorly if the question isn't worded that well.

well xanos, its easy to get stuck at protector, especially if you acheive that rank from doing the SA courses. 4 of the 6 people in my BT are protectors, and they all got there by doing SA courses. We in Clan Tal do have requirements, and Jaymz is close to meeting them. He has one more objective to meet and then he can be allowed to be promoted. However, that one thing he needs isnt just a hand out. I'm sure they were made that way due to the fact that you can get PRT from the SA. And Jaymz has been asking our QUA Benevolent about promos. He's even had a few other posts concerning getting a promo. That was one point I was trying to drive home to him as his BT leader. You don't really need to ask for a promo. Chances are really good, and I know because I check on this every day, that your leader knows your accomplishments and runs them against the guidelines for a promotion. Yes, sometimes a person might get looked over, but if that is the case and you know for certain that you deserve a promotion and its been say a week since you meet the requirements to become a JH and you haven't been promoted yet, then all you should do is get into contact with your leader(s) once and ask them about it. Don't make a big issue or anything out of it, because that seriously bothers leaders. It really does turn them off to the fact of giving out a promotion.

Macron Sadow

22-07-2005 18:35:56

Jaymz- I don't hate you. And remember, we are dark Jedi. Hatred is part of the parcel. People hated Vader, yes? And he surely got the job done.
Just keep at it. I also think Xanos and Kraval had very good points. You should listen to them.
I had to work my butt off to get DJK, and a medal collection. I figured, I would just keep at it so hard and furious until someone HAD to recognize me. And I am glad I had to wait. It means much more to me that way.
Hang in there buddy.

Mike Halcyon

22-07-2005 20:38:09

Oh for god's sake! Stop your damn whining. And everybody else, stop jumping into his whining trap. Geez.

Tyrus

22-07-2005 21:28:58

im with mike on this one...stop whining!!!

but seriously...i have not been prt that long so i cant say i share your pain...but i thrive for promotions...but i would rather stay at prt for the rest of my db career as long as im having loads of fun...thats what it comes down to...yeah, i wish i could get promoted...but it doesnt matter to me right now...im having loads of fun and i like to chat and do the comps that are in my clan and house

so stop whining...if you joined the db solely to make your rank go up and get a friggin lightsaber i think you should quit. i have done more than most guardian's i know and i chat and use the mb a whole lot (i am second on the posts) but i dont whine all the time "i want to get promoted" because im havin a crap load of fun!!! thats what its about all in all...now shut up and have fun...geez you people like to complain...

Sato Khan

22-07-2005 22:28:12

Oh for god's sake! Stop your damn whining. And everybody else, stop jumping into his whining trap. Geez.

ROFLMAO sorry that was just brilliant!!!

kraval

23-07-2005 00:05:07

Anywho, does any other DB member have any questions about ranks?

Tyrus

23-07-2005 00:57:33

yes, do you have to be a certain rank to get a position?
(i.e. quaestor, pcon)

kraval

23-07-2005 01:07:33

yes, do you have to be a certain rank to get a position?
(i.e. quaestor, pcon)

depends on what position you want. i was the typical JH when i got command of my battle team. and right before i got DJK i was made house envoy. I'm pretty sure it just depends on what position you want to go for. For something like QUA the house usually selects the current AED to take that spot. what position are you thinking about??

Tyrus

23-07-2005 01:45:00

rollmaster...im already a btl...

Mike Halcyon

23-07-2005 05:30:54

There isn't a minimum rank officially. However, most leadership positions will be (or should be) filled accordingly to competence and serving time. With time comes experience - and I'd favor a 3-year-GRD for a QUA spot over a 6-months-DJK. Of course that doesn't really hold truth if the 6-months-DJK is a whole lotta active and the GRD AWOL. :P As a gut feeling, I think the following table could roughly(!!!) apply (using the Obelisk ranks as example):

AED: GRD-DJK
QUA: DJK-OP
PCON: DJK-OPM
CON: OP-DA

I don't know about Rollmaster. It all depends on your activity. The danger, however, is that most new people burn out quickly. As such, they are not likely to gain important leadership positions, unless there is dire need. This is also why I mentioned service time above. If someone has been in the DJB three years already with a constant activity, you know that he is reliable and won't go AWOL on you.

Jaymz

23-07-2005 09:55:39

Eh, Dinaari has no Rollmaster, Ben says the Database pretty much does it itself with maintaining new members and such, so it doesn't really matter.

Ethen

23-08-2005 19:02:48

Um, do I need to report Tasks that are completed to gain the next rank to he Aedile or Queastor?

Kschamehellan

23-08-2005 19:08:07

Only your superiors can promote you to the next rank. Quaestors and Aediles try and keep track of everyone's activity as much as possible so they can reward them but it never hurts to let them know what you've done, just to make sure you get the recognition you deserve.

Ethen

23-08-2005 19:15:12

Eh I don't want to like flaunt my accomplishments.

Kaine Mandaala

23-08-2005 23:11:06

Eh I don't want to like flaunt my accomplishments.

I will.

*points to his rank*
http://www.darkjedibrotherhood.com/dbjedi/dossier.asp?ID=5

Ood Bnar

24-08-2005 08:49:16

Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
Plato

horus garm matt

24-08-2005 09:35:46

Without effort, you cannot be prosperous.
also plato

RevengeX

24-08-2005 10:07:44

Plato's kind of prejudiced. If you haven't read the Republic, read it.
me.

Xanos

24-08-2005 16:45:14

Um, do I need to report Tasks that are completed to gain the next rank to he Aedile or Queastor?

Yes. Your QUA and AED are the only people who can promote you so they need to know what you're doing if you ever want to get rewarded. Obviously they'll probably already know about things like House competitions because they'll be the ones running them but other things like playing MP matches etc they probably wont know about unless you tell them.

Its their job, its what they're paid to do, so don't feel bad about 'flaunting' yourself in any way... its what they're there to do.

kraval

24-08-2005 18:35:56

Yes. Your QUA and AED are the only people who can promote you so they need to know what you're doing if you ever want to get rewarded. Obviously they'll probably already know about things like House competitions because they'll be the ones running them but other things like playing MP matches etc they probably wont know about unless you tell them.

Its their job, its what they're paid to do, so don't feel bad about 'flaunting' yourself in any way... its what they're there to do.

woah woah woah, they get paid? since when the duce did this start happening? :P

Kschamehellan

24-08-2005 20:17:05

yeah, I'd like to know too because I'm still waiting for mine.

Ethen

26-08-2005 15:49:53

lol. I don't know whats up, I think being in route of completeing your qualification match against the CM, (even being accepted for a match by the CM should mean something), obviously completeing the ACC Initates exam, Completing a CS, and registering for the forums should count for something shouldn't it?

RevengeX

26-08-2005 16:35:40

Ethen, as an APP, you should just complete your character's history and you'll be promoted. As an NOV those things should be completed (in my opinion) already (doing the ACC qual. battle, completeing your Character Sheet, etc.).

Ethen

26-08-2005 16:57:50

Oh right, completely forgot about the history. Thanks

RevengeX

26-08-2005 17:03:40

No problem at all. :)

Ethen

27-08-2005 21:55:33

Okay submitted my history now what?

Ood Bnar

28-08-2005 06:28:34

maybe you'll get promoted!

Ethen

28-08-2005 16:57:18

Got promoted to Novice. w00t. Now I gotta wait a week to get to Acolyte caue I already completed my Character sheet which is a recommended accomplishment.

Ood Bnar

28-08-2005 17:16:10

good, congratulations with the promotion

take some SA tests in the meantime, they never hurted someonnes career!

Ethen

28-08-2005 17:41:42

I just completed a Conflict Mediation test. I'll try a Krath Core one tomorrow after school.

Ood Bnar

28-08-2005 18:37:56

good, you can also do the Obelisk and Sith core exams! they're easier!

Ethen

28-08-2005 19:56:06

Why would I do those? I am krath.

Dessan

28-08-2005 20:56:38

go kidnap jac and hold him a gun point tell him to give you a promo.

kraval

28-08-2005 20:56:57

even though u are a krath, its a good idea to take other order exams. remember, there is no order limitations, for example: im a sith, and yet i mostly play Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast :)

Ood Bnar

29-08-2005 04:41:34

i did the three core tests and i got pormoted to protector in no time!

Jaysen

29-08-2005 07:07:53

I think one of the things we need to remember is that there should be a sense of pride you get when you receive a promotion, even in these lower and "easier" to obtain ranks. While I do see the reasoning behind giving automatic promotions for people who pass SA tests, I don't always think that is the best way to go about it. Yes, you may learn some things along the way, but true learning comes from being a part of your clan and the DB and actually doing things.

Personally, and this is just a personal thing, I take great pride in the fact that my two promotions so far come from my house leadership seeing my activity and deeming me worthy of a promotion. Yes, I have taken a few SA courses that I thought would be beneficial, but I think the more rewarding path doesn't come from taking impersonal tests and getting automatically promoted; it comes from working with your clanmates and earning their respect.

Ood Bnar

29-08-2005 07:21:42

that is not what i meant, i admit that they speed up the process. but they are not enough, they show superiors that you've taken an interest in the DB

Kaek

29-08-2005 15:49:01

As someone who can speak from the position of the person who actually approves all promotions, I feel inclined to make a few comments.

First, never whine to your superior about getting promoted. Never ASK to be promoted or even insinuate that you need to be promoted. I mean...if you're joking, go ahead. But if you're serious - don't. And remember - there is always some truth in what people say when they're joking :P

People who tell me they need to get promoted, or even ask me about their pending promotion in the queue....REALLY annoy me. In fact, it usually makes me more inclined to deny the promotion. People who do that are clearly impatient. Impatience indicates me an unhealthy desire to be promoted. This unhealthy desire implies that they probably don't deserve the promotion. So nyah - don't do it. I bet most QUAs+ agree with me.

Also I would take this time to remind all of you that being in the DB isn't about getting promoted or getting medals - it's about having fun. If all you want is to advance, you're missing the point. I spent at least 2 years as a SBM - if you spend 6 months as a PRT, it's probably not because you've been overlooked, it's probably because you haven't done anything worthy of being promoted.

Lastly, while a lot of Clan guidelines are quite good, it still remains that the universal standard for advancement throughout the entire DB has not been harmonized. The lower-level promotions are quite haphazard and the upper level promotions are sketchy sometimes. This will be corrected in the near future.

In the meantime, if I deny a promotion and you're unhappy about it - don't try to get me overridden by Jac or Mav or anyone else for that matter. If you do that, well guess what....you just undermined the entire system and made it a little worse for everyone else.

So the next time you people bitch about undeserving people getting promoted (and you know who you are), remember all those promotions that you've pushed through - undeserving as they may have been though you were blinded by your personal considerations - and how many people from other Clans are bitching about them :P

The only way we can ensure that everyone is promoted and rewarded fairly and equitably is if the lot of you stop questioning us when we do something you don't like and learn to trust in the fact that we're trying to be as fair as possible.

Ok end Kaek rant.

Ethen

29-08-2005 17:41:01

As someone who can speak from the position of the person who actually approves all promotions, I feel inclined to make a few comments.

First, never whine to your superior about getting promoted. Never ASK to be promoted or even insinuate that you need to be promoted. I mean...if you're joking, go ahead. But if you're serious - don't. And remember - there is always some truth in what people say when they're joking

People who tell me they need to get promoted, or even ask me about their pending promotion in the queue....REALLY annoy me. In fact, it usually makes me more inclined to deny the promotion. People who do that are clearly impatient. Impatience indicates me an unhealthy desire to be promoted. This unhealthy desire implies that they probably don't deserve the promotion. So nyah - don't do it. I bet most QUAs+ agree with me.

Also I would take this time to remind all of you that being in the DB isn't about getting promoted or getting medals - it's about having fun. If all you want is to advance, you're missing the point. I spent at least 2 years as a SBM - if you spend 6 months as a PRT, it's probably not because you've been overlooked, it's probably because you haven't done anything worthy of being promoted.

Lastly, while a lot of Clan guidelines are quite good, it still remains that the universal standards for advancement throughout the entire DB has not been harmonized. The lower-level promotions are quite haphazard and the upper level promotions are sketchy sometimes. This will be corrected in the near future.

In the meantime, if I deny a promotion and you're unhappy about it - don't try to get me overridden by Jac or Mav or anyone else for that matter. If you do that, well guess what....you just undermined the entire system and made it a little worse for everyone else.

So the next time you people bitch about undeserving people getting promoted (and you know who you are), remember all those promotions that you've pushed through - undeserving as they may have been though you were blinded by your personal considerations - and how many people from other Clans are bitching about them

The only way we can ensure that everyone is promoted and rewarded fairly and equitably is if the lot of you stop questioning us when we do something you don't like and learn to trust in the fact that we're trying to be as fair as possible.

Ok end Kaek rant.

Um, is asking question about how too get promoted a problem?

Kaine Mandaala

29-08-2005 17:47:54

Um, is asking question about how too get promoted a problem?

The answer on how to get promoted truly lies within your house/clan's structure. Mainly they involve "being active" and "helping the clan/house".

If you have love for a certain game (like JO/JA), go play it as often as you can against other DJBers. Make sure you check what the game nights are so you can get medals for playing.

If you have a special talent for graphics or writing or web development, contact your QUA/AED. See if there's anything you can do with that. Contact your fellow house members. Graphics-wise there's always SOMEONE who wants SOMETHING. Make forum avatars or sig images.

It's all about activity and being useful, but try not to be a pest. Remember you are just one of many who could be contacting your superior. Even I seem to forget that every now and then with crap I send to Jac. :D

Ethen

29-08-2005 17:59:54

Thanks that helps a great deal. Well lets look at my situation. IRC don't work, if one of you could look at my qualification matches with Dathlid in the Proving Grounds and tell me how I am doing that would be great, so I know whether to take that path or not. I can write ok. So what should I do?

Kaek

29-08-2005 23:53:07

Asking how to get promoted is NOT a problem - I'd actually prefer if more people asked. Don't ask me though, ask your Clan leadership. What Kaine said.

Mike Halcyon

30-08-2005 05:13:06

IRC always works. On every system, under every constraints. It's the most robust and easiest program I've encountered so far. If it's not working with you (what's not working? Not connecting? Not loading?), chances are you're on a router that blocks its ports. Ask your dad/RA/whatever to clear the port and you're set. Firewalls sometimes don't like it, either.

Ethen

30-08-2005 17:17:01

I don't have a firewall trust me Mike it does NOT WORK. Its not connecting

khan

30-08-2005 23:32:43

Hmm .. *coughSLAPTHEPREATORchough* >:)

Konar

31-08-2005 07:32:34

IRC always works. On every system, under every constraints. It's the most robust and easiest program I've encountered so far. If it's not working with you (what's not working? Not connecting? Not loading?), chances are you're on a router that blocks its ports. Ask your dad/RA/whatever to clear the port and you're set. Firewalls sometimes don't like it, either.

To further on that, you may have been k-lined or banned from using undernet.
(has happened to me a fair few times - and amazingly a few of those times I wasn't in the wrong :P)

Contact any CService representatives located here if you can actually log into undernet but have trouble accessing a chatroom, or for some reason, in case the server you usually connect by won't accept you.

If the problem is more broad, and you simply can't log on to undernet, send an email to help@undernet.org and a CService representative should fix your problem (unless you have been banned for an extremely valid reason. In which case, it would be wise to wait a while before contacting CService)

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

Just my little addy one promotions (as this was not clarified - at least to my knowledge). If you are a member of a battleteam remember that your flight leaders (if Sith), or battleteam leaders investigate your activity closely and where your Aedile, Quaestor, Proconsul or Consul have missed important tid-bits that could very well lead to your promotion, they may be vital in acquiring you a promotion.

By this I do not mean they can request a promotion for you. But, as they can give you more undivided attention (ie, they have a much smaller group to look over), they can send a few complementary words, on your behalf, to their superiors and that could be enough to get you promoted.

- I certainly remember my imput getting people promoted in my time as battleteam leader.

P.S: You may not be in a battleteam. I would strongly advise joining one if you are not and you are looking for a promotion.

Ethen

01-09-2005 20:40:11

I can't join a battleteam because my IRC isn't working.

Diablos

01-09-2005 20:46:27

that's [Expletive Deleted]ty!

Ethen

01-09-2005 20:55:12

Tell me about it. I love the DB, but like I ain't gonna be able to advance.

Ark Dowell

01-09-2005 21:28:51

I don't think you have to have IRC to advance. Just keep up with communication in the MB and participate in competitions. IRC is just a tool that can help. ~_0

Diablos

02-09-2005 06:50:40

True, but it is kinda crap not being able to go in a battleteam.

Mike Halcyon

02-09-2005 13:22:02

Um... A not working IRC shouldn't be a problem when joining a Battleteam. Try to join a different one of the BTL thinks it is.

Ethen

02-09-2005 16:07:34

thought I had to join the Battle Team of the House I was in

Mike Halcyon

02-09-2005 17:03:32

There are usually more than one battleteam. And if there isn't - join a different house then.

Ood Bnar

03-09-2005 05:40:32

yeah, you'll find some battleteam that needs you!

Diablos

03-09-2005 06:28:25

Yeah, if I can find a battleteam then you definately can.

kraval

03-09-2005 19:10:04

Yeah, if I can find a battleteam then you definately can.

yea finding a battle team isnt that hard. as for the irc problem, depending on what your clan's requirements are, it may or may not be an issue. what sort of error message do you get when you try to connect? maybe i can help :)

Ood Bnar

09-09-2005 15:23:28

yeah, let us help you

RevengeX

09-09-2005 16:02:33

Ok, Ethen Cole is now inactive, anyone else have a question?

Mortis

19-09-2005 19:05:33

Ok, Ethen Cole is now inactive, anyone else have a question?

Most of my questions have been answered from just reading the previous pages. Thank you masters.

Diablos

20-09-2005 08:21:35

No problem, my young apprentice/dogsbody

Ood Bnar

24-09-2005 05:54:53

we are glad that our vast 'knowledge' could help you :P

Diablos

24-09-2005 07:30:44

Yeah, what he said.

Uzbad

26-09-2005 18:17:25

I think everyone should go and reccomend me to KP. :P

Kschamehellan

26-09-2005 20:24:33

Don't worry. If it's a promotion you want sombody will get on it soon enough

Kaine Mandaala

26-09-2005 21:05:27

I nominate Uzbad to Kitchen Patrol. Start peeling those potatoes.

Macron Sadow

26-09-2005 22:30:55

mm spuds, lol KP duty

RevengeX

28-09-2005 16:25:22

Lol. Uzbad, promotions and rank don't really mean much. The point of the DB is to have fun and meet new people.

kraval

28-09-2005 17:21:01

Lol. Uzbad, promotions and rank don't really mean much. The point of the DB is to have fun and meet new people.

revenge has a very good point. all people concentrate on is getting up to the next rank or getting that higher medal. but what are they really? just lines on a web page and a picture. what this club is about is meeting people with the same interest you have; starwars and more specifically that the dark side pwns all. :D

Ark Dowell

29-09-2005 20:51:30

Well, promos are kinda important. I mean, I do wanna meet new people and talk over IRC, but I don't fancy being an APP for three years. :P

MichaelArkarso

29-09-2005 21:27:46

Oh, promos are important, if not for you then at least for your character. Cause getting force skils, ligthsaber and a lot of other stuff depends on your ranking. And I guess most ppl in the db don't like to play a youngling without force skills and lightsaber forever. Sure for someone that just wants to play JO or JA ranking may be uninteresting. But even OOC ranking has influence, where ever you apply, ppl will check your profile, and the ranking is the 1st thing they see. But ranking together with a couple of other elements have influence on a lot of decisions. Cause here and there someone you only seen a few times in a channel and played with him a few times JO needs to make a decision on something that concernes you, so he needs to make himself a picture of you from the stuff written in your roster profile. And this picture can be a youngling or a white haired jedi master depending on that ranking.

Corran Force

13-10-2005 18:19:10

*pouts around* I can't get a promo. j/k. Only way I can get DP is via a DC position. Or bug Jac every 5 mins about it til I get it lol. Like that'll happen :-P