Use the forum don't spam emails

Sildrin

13-07-2006 03:53:38

Why should we use the forum board instead of emails?

- we prevent spam email-replies with only comments such as "Yeah! Great!" or "Ha ha ha, you are soo funny"

- preventing email-spam helps new members to find vital informations much easier. They dont have to read dozens of emails, set up new filters.

- there are no lost informations, as they are saved on the board and no in the inbox which is deleted ocasionally by the user or the system

What kind of informations should be found on the forum?

- e.g. discussions
- purposals
- announcement of the DJK oath
- maybe even announcements of some of the summit reports, since they are to be saved in the report tool of the DB page anyways!

How do I prevent spam emails?
- Consider each time before you write an email: Is it necessary?
- Should I reply only to the author of the email?
- How about I add my email to my signature so people can find the author's email and easily reply to him / her

Go on and discuss! But discuss HERE in the board :D

Sil

Kaine Mandaala

13-07-2006 08:18:04

- we prevent spam email-replies with only comments such as "Yeah! Great!" or "Ha ha ha, you are soo funny"

How do I prevent spam emails?
- Consider each time before you write an email: Is it necessary?

Ah, the days of mailing lists and e-mail chains. I do not miss those.

Anyhow - These same two policies apply to posting on the forums. Try not to cause blatant spam here as well. Try to put some thought behind your posts. Avoid pointless, non-constructive comments.

Remember - I'm always reading... everything... ;)

Macron Sadow

13-07-2006 10:22:53

It's true, he does. I am glad to see this issue being addressed. Thanks Sildrin.

Anonymous

13-07-2006 11:18:06

Of course, NagaSadow has traditionally had a gargantuan email load, which is something many of us were quite okay with. Flipping the situation around, a user with Outlook, Lotus, or whatever, finds it x1000 easier to do everything from email, rather then having to open stupid browser windows, ect.

It's not the first time this issues come up, and it won't be the last. This is one of the things that makes NagaSadow NagaSadow. When we stop communicating, we lose that aspect.

(And no, communicating over the MBs is no where near the same, because half the clan dosen't read the MBs).

Solution, email management :-D

Kaine Mandaala

13-07-2006 11:36:41

Gmail significantly reduces the spam-factor from mailing lists. I used to have rules set up in Outlook to auto-filter DJB mail to specific folders based on the subject/sender but that got insane. Gmail's threaded format made life a lot easier, but still, spam-mail is annoying.

As for people not using the forums - that's their loss. I'd say start using them more often. Don't make usage mandatory, but make it something they don't want to miss out on.

Sildrin

13-07-2006 12:17:11

Ah, the days of mailing lists and e-mail chains. I do not miss those.

Anyhow - These same two policies apply to posting on the forums. Try not to cause blatant spam here as well. Try to put some thought behind your posts. Avoid pointless, non-constructive comments.

Remember - I'm always reading... everything...  ;)

Its like replacing the devil with belzebub. Either I have spam in my emailbox or on the forum. The problem is shifted to a different place and not solved. :(

The bad thing about emails is:
New members are utterly confused and miss out vital informations. They sometimes even give up due to the mass of informations.
People ignore reply emails (mostly they are only "yeah, great, you rock", .. ), because they learned that most of them are pointless. But some are important. Informations are being lost.

Recently NagaSadow-mailinglist has turned into a spam-discuss-we-communicate-wildly-here. I don't mind communication at all, but I hate to see an email with of dozens of pointless replies. Furthermore some people don't use gmail and the quoted text appears up additionally. It makes you scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll.

We could go and tell people to use gmail, but some don't want to switch. (I know a couple of people who don't want to miss features of hotmail. Others can't access their emails being constantly online since its a browser-email-client.

Unfortunately I am not too content with gmail myself. I am missing a lot of features. I am still thinking of switching back to yahoo. But then I would have to deal with 60 emails in a row (from which there are 4 original emails and 56 useless replies).

I am not asking for all communication to stop.. not at all. I am happy to see that we do communicate at all.
But I think the solution is not email-management, but more self-discipline. Emails are not being considered like a chat message. I am also a highly commicative person, but you rarely see me replying to emails, unless it is constructive. In the end its a reply that contains much more than just a simple: "wooo hoo great!".

It kinda makes me feel to simply give up, ignore reply emails and deal with the fact that I will overread vital informations. At least it will keep my stress level much lower, instead of being heavily annoyed. Saves me a few years of my life. I may not be as efficient as normally, but thats the price... :(

Sildrin

Ylith Pandemonium

14-07-2006 16:14:10

thing is, during the GJW we dicuss a lot of tactics and strategies upon the mailing lists, upon this forum, everyone can read it, and trust me, if Kaine reads it, more people outside CNS do.

if people want Gmail, pop me a line on IRC, in here or by E-mail, I have 100 invites left anyway.

YlithRomanae@gmail.com

Ylith

Ruluk

15-07-2006 13:20:03

Hey men, I don't like this spam thing on the email, Yesterday I checked my email and it had like 32. I checked just some (that didn't had the same email name) and the rest I erased them. But today I found 26 new! This is filling my email with trash, and I don't like trash on emails. I support Sil, It should be done on here.

Ylith Pandemonium

15-07-2006 20:24:16

if you want Gmail...

*points to his previous post*

Nekura Manji

16-07-2006 04:56:37

At the end of the day, it's better to just calm down when it comes to email. As Sil said, most of what comes through the NagaSadow list won't actually be important- so just read it, don't bother replying. It takes a lot less time to read through emails than it does to reply to them.

Of course, Gmail is EXTREMELY helpful in cutting down the number of emails, since all the replies are in an extremely handy little chain... I'll second what Ylith said and offer my 98 or so invites for Gmail to anyone who PMs me for one, since it really is such a useful tool. I switched to Gmail from Hotmail, and it's been an incredibly useful improvement. I wouldn't switch back now, since Gmail is just so much easier to use.

So yeah. (Everyone get Gmail! Help Google rule the world! :P)

Sildrin

17-07-2006 08:08:29

One thing I wrote in my report and that I will post here again in case people didn't thorougly read it (although I do hope you read my report! :D )

============================
Emails and spam
I know some are annoyed at so many emails. Some love to communicate a lot. I am torn with this. I love people being active, taking part, shareing their thoughts with others. On the other hand it is annoying having daily about 60 / 70 emails (and some here have even more). And some of those emails only contain one word like "Wooohooo!" or "Great!".
It is just a kind request: try only to reply if you have a constructive contribution to the topic and if it fits to it. It is just a kind request. Please have in mind that there are members who's native language is not english and who have to translate each single email into their mothertongue. Imagine as if you have to read 60 emails a day in a foreign language.

And for those who don't use googlemail. You could switch over to googlemail. The advantage? You have a cool presentation of emails which makes them easy to read.
I linked a few pictures for you to look at (sorry some of that stuff is on German, but yes, this also exists on different languages :D ):
http://sithtower.de/_Daten/gmail01.jpg
The first picture shows one threaded email with all replies. The replies are hidden except for the last one.

http://sithtower.de/_Daten/gmail02.jpg
You can click on the hidden replies and then you can see who replied.

http://sithtower.de/_Daten/gmail03.jpg
You can click on one of the names and then his /her reply is completely shown. The former quoted replies are hidden.

http://sithtower.de/_Daten/gmail04.jpg
Now you can click on the hidden quoted text and it shows up.

All in all this is a pretty interesting way how to deal with a lot of emails. Still there are some features I am missing in gmail. It works differently than some other email services. But if you still want to try, you can email me or other googlemail-users. Every google-user can invite a certain number of people to that service. Drop me an email: sildrinhastur@googlemail.com.
Oh btw. googlemail also implemented a little chat-function. Pretty funny and useful tool to communicate.

Kaine Mandaala

17-07-2006 12:27:45

I don't read your reports.

I read the forums but I don't care about your strategies. I'm aware that other people might, so it is best to keep it somewhat private.

You should also push the importance of IRC for otherwise useless or fleeting conversation. You can talk about all your plans there, even if you have to create your own private channel.

Ylith Pandemonium

17-07-2006 16:40:04

no need to be all bitchy about it Kaine