Sabre Cauterization

Muz Ashen

27-04-2005 11:57:41

I have long been of the quasi-physics school as far as the lightsabre being some sort of superheated plasma blade that burned through things rather than really cut.

And as i was searching through some ACC matches i noticed that someone I'm pretty friendly with was getting docked points for writing gore into the aftermath of his sabre strikes.

After thinking about it, i recalled in Star Wars, when Obi-Wan sliced the arm off of the hoodlum in the cantina... how the camera showed a puddle of blood coming from the severed limb.

Then I recalled Empire, how when Luke slashed the arm off of the Wampa, and how the white fur around the wound was all nasty red from blood and other nasty stuff.

And then I jump to the end of Empire, where Vader cuts through the pipes, and they are singed. And Luke's hand...cauterized.

And then to tPM, where the sabres clearly cut by heat, even when used against resilient doors.
And finally, to AotC, where Dooku cuts off Anakin's arm, which does not bleed. And where Obi slices off the bounty hunter's hand, also cauterized.

So the canon of the OT goes both ways, but the new ones go one way.

Which is it?

Could it be that Ben's and Luke's old, ill-maintained sabres didn't have the power supply to cauterize? Or was GL trying to show that vader's was 'hot with rage' (or something equally lame)?

If this needs to be moved to the SW forum, please do...

Arania

28-04-2005 05:14:21

I vote for dumb oversight. Same as sounds in space.

Macron Sadow

28-04-2005 07:52:13

Yeah, probably dumb oversight. However, in the case of the wampa it could be alien biology as well?

Xhedias

28-04-2005 14:25:24

You forget that Windu's saber cauterized Fett's neck also. :P

I dont think it would have fit in the story line that luke died from blood loss in a crazy insane and stupid way to kill the main character so soon.

Kaine Mandaala

28-04-2005 17:13:55

Having quickly read this I thought of this theory:

Of the blades that cauterize two are Sith blades, using the chemically enhanced crystals. Windu's blade, which is also enhanced or changed in some way from the standard Jedi Knight/Master blades, is probably made from a similar type of crystal.

In short - it seems Red and Purple blades are intense enough to seer due to some sort of change in the construction process.

Macron Sadow

28-04-2005 20:25:13

That could very well be. A synthetic crystal would have less impurities by nature, and thus create a hotter and more focused blade.

Dalthid

28-04-2005 20:25:50

I'm gonna use his name here... hope he doesn't mind...

Korras was the first to get on me about blood versus bloodless when it came to sabres cutting stuff off...

I have rated both ways, but it was NEVER a deciding factor - so it wasn't too pivotal. My view of it always depended on the wound... I can't say that I really have a good answer for you Muz... but I guess I'd better come up with one before you go blaming me for making Lucas go in either direction :P

Muz Ashen

29-04-2005 08:44:43

Blame? Nah...
But you should get a medal or three for kicking Lucas around about the whole midichlorian thing. ;)

Macron Sadow

29-04-2005 08:56:34

Yeah, I remember thinking "what the hell?" when I saw EP one. Mididchlorians sound like some sort of cleaning product or something.

Xhedias

29-04-2005 12:29:07

Hmm, red and purple are both at the opposite ends of the light spectrum, which meaning they were odd wave lengths.

Muz Ashen

29-04-2005 12:40:34

*boots Xhedias*
Real world physics need not apply!

Telona

30-04-2005 15:25:51

God you guys sound so nerdy....

Ever think that the reason why some wounds were cauterized and some were not was the fact that Lucas wanted to keep the movie rated PG. :P With the new movies he definately wants to bring in the younger kids. It's only until nerdy people ask these questions that an answer has to be given. Just say the blood you see is a lot like hearing curse words on the radio, they can only do so much. :P

Súrion

30-04-2005 15:43:39

Lol, you have a point there.

Muz Ashen

01-05-2005 01:23:03

Heh...news flash: Star Wars Fan Club?

:)

Xhedias

01-05-2005 22:47:44

LoL muz, and i didnt say physics had to apply i just thought it was interesting :)

Telona

02-05-2005 00:38:17

You don't have to be a nerd to be in a club :P

I'd much rather be in a Star Wars club than part of the Moose Lodge.....

Dalthid

02-05-2005 07:28:45

at least a moose lodge would have real beer... all we can get from the DB is the online *beer*... not the same, much like the black michael jackson and the white one...

Telona

02-05-2005 14:34:38

That's why you buy your beer at the store and just drink it while sitting at the computer.

Malik

02-05-2005 15:40:39

that's beyond nerdy... :P

Súrion

02-05-2005 20:02:13

What is?

Telona

03-05-2005 21:51:39

Yeah I agree that buying the beer and drinking it while talking to people on the internet is nerdy. Good thing I only drink my beer when I'm out at a bar with friends or at a party :)

Vessicant

06-05-2005 19:02:02

The bright burny end goes in the other man. That should stick.

/me dusts off hands and pushes flask out of sight

WHAT?

Dalthid

06-05-2005 22:05:05

The bright burny end goes in the other man. 

Or woman :)

Telona

07-05-2005 12:01:37

Get your mind out of the gutter :P

Nekura Manji

07-05-2005 13:23:05

Depends which way you're inclined, really... I had Dal down as a 'bright burny end goes in the other man' kinda guy. :P

Macron Sadow

10-05-2005 01:38:29

burny = ouch not good

Dalthid

10-05-2005 08:03:41

Nek, you're lucky I need y'round.... them's is fightin' words... and as I recall, yer still one down :P

Nekura Manji

10-05-2005 16:52:21

Your time'll come, old man.... don't be too eager to die :P

Xhedias

10-05-2005 18:34:57

ooooo burn... :P

Im rising underneath Manji :P he just doesnt know it yet

Callus

19-05-2005 12:00:52

you guys are gross

this is what lightsabers are for :P

/me castrates Xhedias

Xhedias

19-05-2005 12:44:54

...real mature callus...

Callus

19-05-2005 15:24:02

better than buying your beer off the net :P

Atleast you could go to the Quicky Mart or somthing geez

Syrus Korodin

02-06-2005 20:06:21

Buying beer online and having it delivered to your door would end the ability of many people to remove themselves from their computer and go outside.

Thus, we must have it!

Anonymous

04-06-2005 22:43:40

You don't have to be a nerd to be in a club  :P

I'd much rather be in a Star Wars club than part of the Moose Lodge.....

If you're a true fan of Star Wars, Arguing these kinds of things is just a normal everyday occurance. and no, we are not nerds because we like Star Wars. I guess you could call a Jock a nerd for liking Football.

Think about it.

And Moose lodges are fun!

And about this Lightsaber Cauterizing situation, you stated that Lucas ment to keep the ratings PG... The original Movies were ment for kids and there was blood but these newer movies, especially Episode III, kinda aren't for kids and there is no blood. It's obviously a Lightsaber thing.

And who says we are talking about Lucas's movie? We are speaking of ACC fights.

Seriously, Keep your train on the track or quit your job as an engineer.

Sincere as it can get,

Sorgo

Dalthid

05-06-2005 23:11:49

errm... so we don't have to worry about 'Lucas stuff' in the ACC? Interesting POV.

Taigikori

20-06-2005 04:39:49

Ever think that the reason why some wounds were cauterized and some were not was the fact that Lucas wanted to keep the movie rated PG.  :P  With the new movies he definately wants to bring in the younger kids.  It's only until nerdy people ask these questions that an answer has to be given.  Just say the blood you see is a lot like hearing curse words on the radio, they can only do so much.  :P

I aplaud you for your reasoning.

Xanos

25-06-2005 06:25:47

And about this Lightsaber Cauterizing situation, you stated that Lucas ment to keep the ratings PG... The original Movies were ment for kids and there was blood but these newer movies, especially Episode III, kinda aren't for kids and there is no blood. It's obviously a Lightsaber thing.

Its also because the term "for kids" is very different today than it was thirty years ago. In the 70s showing kids a little blood and gore wasn't considered wrong so long as it didn't give them nightmares for months. These days kids are wrapped in cotton wool and protected from being exposed to cranberry juice because its red and might scare them. Either way lightsabers generally cauterise. Even in Empire Strikes Back Luke's hand was cut clean, he wasn't pouring blood down the middle of Cloud City. It wasn't a bloodbath when he was slicing things on Jabba's sail barge either.

Theophilus

08-12-2006 23:29:46

Easy answer:

Luke's sabre = OLD
Obi's Sabre in ANH = OLD

All those sabres that cauterized = NEW

Thus, the old, relic-esque sabres of ANH didn't put out the power needed to singe the flesh. The sabres of the prequels, Vader's sabre, and Luke's in RotJ are all relatively new, and get regular use and maintenence. Thus, they'd be able to put out the power needed to burn the wound shut.

Case Closed. By a JH. That's gotta hurt the pride.

Xhedias

08-12-2006 23:52:17

Easy answer: 

Luke's sabre = OLD
Obi's Sabre in ANH = OLD

All those sabres that cauterized = NEW

Thus, the old, relic-esque sabres of ANH didn't put out the power needed to singe the flesh. The sabres of the prequels, Vader's sabre, and Luke's in RotJ are all relatively new, and get regular use and maintenence. Thus, they'd be able to put out the power needed to burn the wound shut.

Case Closed. By a JH. That's gotta hurt the pride.

You still have to have the same amount of power to ignite the blade. It's either blade, or no blade. It would be just like your Ipod, you either have enough power in it to play it....or you don't. I dont think it is plausible to think that you can set or even inadvertently have a lightsaber like a blaster, at differant levels of power.

Aabsdu

09-12-2006 12:00:42

Well, sure Lucas made it to where lightsabers cauterize the flesh to cut down on blood and gore, but then it also makes sense. I mean, a beam of plasma energy in a high tech world of SW will probably be able to stop bleeding. I like how lightsabers cauterize the blood veins and such, it makes sense and it rather cool. Just like how blaster shots do the same, since they are energy.

Now, weapons like a blade or something, yeah, I can see that causing a good bit of bleeding

Etah

12-12-2006 05:48:17

Two things, it might very well be a byproduct of strange exo-biology and two it might be application of the blade. I don’t know much about physics but I can see a quickly moving blade cutting without having a chance to cauterize, while a slower movement might both cut and burn, resulting in a cauterized wound.

Aabsdu

12-12-2006 23:09:03

One, it's a fictional universe :P

Two, the amount of energy used in a lightsaber is tremendous. Surely great enough to cauterize vessels in a split second.

As with someone saying we don't have to follow George's rules. I'll have to disagree. Our club and life here is based completely on GL and the world he created. Hell, I may be wrong, but isn't the fact that our club is free the only thing that keeps us away from copyright laws? George all but rules us, we use pictures from his moves, terms, concepts, everything

Macron Sadow

20-12-2006 13:32:13

According to Lucasarts, the energy contained in an average lightsaber power cell is 5mW, give or take. That is a LOT of energy.

Etah may have a point- the bleeding could be a result of many factors, such as biology, age/maintenance of the weapon, and physical makeup of the cell/crystal matrix for the blade in question. For Example, Dooku was known to use Nextor crystals, making his blade extra nasty.

Etophilus- I highly doubt Lord Vader maintained his blade poorly.