Armor question

Jaysun Adumarii

07-03-2005 00:51:06

If I wanted my character to wear armor and have it actually be for protection rather than simply cosmetic how would I go about doing that? I remember reading in the ACC compendium that it would be classed as a "unique" weapon but I'm not sure how it would work.

Halcyon

07-03-2005 09:35:09

If I wanted my character to wear armor and have it actually be for protection rather than simply cosmetic how would I go about doing that? I remember reading in the ACC compendium that it would be classed as a "unique" weapon but I'm not sure how it would work.

To have a piece of armour actually protect you, you will have to put it in one of the two Custom Weapons slots. The skill-number you put towards the armour counts towards how well it protects you.

Sunflash

07-03-2005 11:04:00

Ahhh, good. I was wondering the same question some time ago but I had forgotten. Well, I guess I have to add to his question. Will the oponent be counted off for not obeying the armor protection "thingy?" ;)

Halcyon

07-03-2005 12:14:54

Yes, they will be. And this goes both ways, meaning you would be docked massive points for writing in your opponent using armour that they haven't put points into. Armour can be used for its "looks" but not for its protection or other attributes unless it has already been put under the Custom-weapons slots.

Muz Ashen

07-03-2005 14:10:05

So, the question is, how soon can we expect an armor guide showing us typical armor use and point allocation?

Dalthid

12-03-2005 17:27:47

not any time soon/hadn't planned on making one. what else do you need other than what the compendium covers?

Raistlin

12-03-2005 18:31:00

Oh you can do a lot of with armor, were we to implement a system into the DB.... lol =P

-Raist

Muz Ashen

14-03-2005 11:14:20

Well, i was thinking of a basic armor kit set-up, like you have for weapons.

Basically enumerate a few different kinds of armor, their legit qualities and so on. the attribute score probably has more to do with the rolling through attacks to make the armor take the damage instaed of your body.

stuff like that...

Halcyon

14-03-2005 12:27:33

Reason we have an weapons guide is because of the number of available places someone can put in points for weapons skills. "Sword Skill" can cover a range of different types, same with dagger skills and so on. So in a match, someone can choose a weapon from the guide without having to specify it in Custom Weapons.

Armor however, due to the limited place in which to place points in it, become something personal. The Custom Weapons spot is there for you to choose what you want. And it covers a range of poosibiities, one of them being armour. There should be some personal thought going into what you put there.

Due to the amount of people who will place points in a Custom armour, there is no need for a full guide detailing the different types. A good Custom Weapon description is not needed for such a guide.

Jaysun Adumarii

14-03-2005 19:47:34

So let's say I put five points into my armour, would that allow me to say it provides better protection than if I put only two or three points into it?

Halcyon

14-03-2005 20:02:33

Exactly. The more points you put in, the better the protection is. So a five would probably mean it could hold up to a number of blaster bolts as well as blunt-force damage (such as swords, daggers, etc...)

Muz Ashen

15-03-2005 09:31:47

I see...
So if i place five points in armor, it doesn't matter if i call it Mandalorian, RIS or royal guard armor, it does the same in-game effects, the rest is cosmetic?

What if Boba Fett was an ACC character? how would all the built-in stuff count? Between the rocket pack, the vision modes for the helmet, the targeting array for the helmet, the gauntlet spikes, and the 'grappling/binding hook-wire, it seems like he'd have to have both custom slots maxed out...one for actual armor and the other for the special properties.

besides, i think i just stumbled on a cool idea for you guys...create NPC iconic characters, like Fett... meh, probably too much work to be bothered with. It'd be neat though.

Xanos

28-03-2005 08:49:15

Things like Mandalorian Armor would essentially fall into the Personal Possessions category and need official approval though, which is a slight difference. Most of us fight with the Force and/or lightsabers so armor is a fairly mute point in all but cosmetic purposes. I know a few people wear it, and if I ever fight somebody that does I normally mention it a couple of times in my posts but it's not something I get too worked up about the exact points allocation, or whether it has 60% lightsaber resists and 50% cold resists, or something equally RPG like and stupid.

That said, heavier armors would come with a cost, meaning if somebody wanted to wear some kind of uber power armor they'd have to realise that unless they mention their character becoming a bigger target, slower, less agile etc. they'd be getting docked marks for that (I assume). This isn't as true in the case of uber armor like Mandalorian, but again, hence why that'd undoubtedly fall under the "needs approval" category.

If somebody wants to be a bit more normal though and say they're wearing, say, Stormtrooper armor *shrug*. I wouldn't call it all that special. It's meant to be good armor (and remember; in the films the good guys have to win, so the fact it sucks there can be ignored) but it still isn't much use when you're getting Telekinetically hammered, cooked by Force Lightning, or gutted with a lightsaber. If somebody wants to be wearing it for a fight and doesn't have 'points' for it, were I fighting them, I personally wouldn't care much. They become a sitting white duck, maybe I'd mention something about my lightsaber glancing off them a couple of times, but ultimately it wouldn't make a huge lot of difference.

Simple answer: cortosis is the only known alloy to resist lightsabers; cortosis needs approval; hence any armor that can resist lightsabers would need approval. And any armor that can't isn't much more than cosmetic.

Dalthid

02-05-2005 07:49:00

Right Muz, no matter what armor you select, the points of it are what matter. Remember, most of these battles are 'supposed' to be 'duels' - honorable *ehem...* battles between dark jedi - if there is such a thing...

Our problem exists in 'limitation' of some character species to wear armor , the extent to which a 'guide' would have to go to cover everything and the 'yet another thing that needs to be approved' junk that I don't feel like getting into any more fights about -- which is why we are going to leave the armor completely generic - no matter what it's called

As for 'attachments' - generally, no. Attached items like rocket launchers and stuff count as 'another weapon' so you have to allocate it as such - could you imagine the insanity if you didn't? Now, I could see an exception to the rule if someone wanted 'extra' stuff in their armor - but as that would be an 'advantage' they'd have to take a hit somewhere else. Like, if they want armor with wrist rockets or something - the points for the armor would have to be split (assuming they put 5 points in the slot) - like, 3 to the armor and 1 to each launcher or something. Although, I'd rather not bother with it at all.

There will probably be an 'armor' slot added to the new CS, but it's not going to be much different, especially considering the penalties and bonuses that would make judging a nightmare - I don't think any staffer would want to sit there with a calculator. So, much like the rest of it, most stuff will have their place in the DBRPG, but not in the ACC - the info won't be transferable in a lot of cases.

Macron Sadow

02-05-2005 11:54:23

I have armor, but I did it mostly for character development purposes. It's fun to write, so I did.
Dalthid was quite helpful in the approval process. Thanks a lot.