How to write for battles

Kraznor

08-03-2006 07:33:27

I have read the docs and tried training, but it doesnt seem to help, Im not the greatest fiction writer in the world, so How do i even do a reasonable effort? Any advice

Aghasett

08-03-2006 14:31:01

I'm no expert, being only CL:1, but there are a few things I find helpful, which don't require inherent writing skills, per se, just a little mental effort:

Before the battle:

-Familiarize yourself with your opponent's character sheet and review his past battles. Learn his strengths and weaknesses, fighting styles, tactics, etc., and prepare accordingly.

-Select weapons that make up for your character's weaknesses vis a vis your opponent.

-Pre-visualize the combat arena's terrain and think about how you can use it to your advantage.

During the battle:

-Refer to the Force Powers section of the ACC Compendium frequently, and use powers appropriately and often (without going overboard).

-Use the terrain. It's never completely defined in the Compendium, so you have the latitude to create elements of the terrain to suit your purposes, e.g., you're able to duck behind a column to avoid a blaster bolt.

-Give your opponent credit -- don't be afraid to get wounded. The element of realism is much more important than trying to win the battle at all costs. If your opponent is stronger than you are, acknowledge that fact within the action of the battle.

-Don't over-rely on dialogue. Battles are action narratives, so don't get into lengthy speeches or conversations unless it's really pertinent to the battle at hand.

-Attack attack attack. As long as it's within the rules and it matches your character's strengths and abilities according your character sheet, throw everything you've got at your opponent. Fight your heart out and fight to win. But don't ignore reality if you're clearly getting pummeled. It's the effort that counts in judging.

Dalthid

13-03-2006 07:55:48

Very good input by Aghasett, but allow me to elaborate, if I may…

Along the same lines as familiarize yourself with your opponent’s CS and Give your opponent credit – know your own character. This biggest disappointments in battles are Journeyman who write as if their characters are Elders.

The Force powers section is a great way to understand the powers, but don’t forget about the Character Sheet Guide, that explains your stats and capabilities. Personally, if you’re not that great at fiction, I wouldn’t even worry about Force Powers just yet…just concentrate on your writing. ASeries of posts, with no Force use at all, are still easily capable of winning a battle if the writing is better.

Pre-visualization, yes! But don’t limit to your location – pre-visualize everything! Try to see combat before you write it, so you can describe what your imagination is seeing. Some folks wing-it, which is great – but you can tell they did with a lot of them, makes for very ‘jagged’ writing, poor flow.

Finally, I’ll have to disagree with “Attack, Attack, Attack…” – that’s not the greatest of ideas. Too much combat makes for a crappy story, plain and simple. Equally, your character might not have the skills to keep attacking, instead – find a marriage between combat and the actual story telling. Never forget the detail of what happens “after” attacks, where you are or what has transpired – a good tip; and one most don’t realize is that – your posts should be containing more detail as the battle progresses.

Meh, but what do I know :P

Kraznor

15-03-2006 06:26:51

Yeah but how do you go into detail with the swift slice of the blade across (insert body part). You could add in pivots, parry's, etc I guess but the combat writing is what I guess I find more difficult

Dalthid

17-03-2006 07:27:23

“In that single instant, it seemed that every bit of anger, rage and hatred drew through the Adept’s arms, directly from his mind. As his torso twisted with the motion of his strike, the building cacophony of intention drove to the grip of his blade. Time seemed to crawl as the sabre screamed through the air, driving through the parry laid so well by his opponent, and etching the mark a crossed his abdomen. Skin sang through shorn garment and burned with the pungent smell of charred flesh as the Adept completed the swing, reverting the blade for a second strike.”

Maybe a good example, maybe a bad one… nevertheless, that’s ‘detail’ of a single strike.

Muz Ashen

23-03-2006 10:11:11

Everyone has five senses. (6, if you count the force).

write them.

You strike.
How does it feel?
what sound does it make?
what smells fill the air?
what taste is on your lips?
what does the strike look like?

Then:
What happens?

Dalthid's is a great example of using more senses than people are accustomed to...it's why he's the Supreme Champion. ;)

Dalthid

23-03-2006 17:09:59

not for long if we get two more CH's and I have to fight you in the 'supreme championship' , Muz :P

Sliver

27-10-2007 02:10:56

*Hasn’t even done his qualifying battle yet*
holy crap Dalthid, that was freakin beautiful! oh man, how depressing, if i ever had to write against you i think i'll throw my computer at you and run away... seriously, if your not an author your in the wrong field.